"The hardest of all is learning to be a well of affection,and not fountain,to show them that we love them,not when we feel like it,but when they do"

Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 05, 2015

Hope for future

Plenty of moments are present in our life which makes us sad or unhappy, in turn filling us with disappointment. But the interesting part of life is that a single, little moment is enough to bring a smile to our face and fill us with hope for future.

One specific day that I remember from the recent past of mine made a stream of emotions come to life. I was walking towards my home after a long day. I generally walked but at times took cycle rikshaw. That day I had decided to walk. I had covered half way to my home and then I saw a cycle rikshaw. This person driving the cycle rikshaw was an old man. At first I was shocked to see a person doing such a hard work when one assumes him to be resting or doing something light. He asked if I wanted to go somewhere and somehow I just agreed and sat on his cycle rikshaw. All the while on the way to my home I kept thinking as to what makes him do this work. Maybe he doesn’t have children or maybe his children have disowned him or maybe he has no one to call family and other things. The whole way down was a pondering session for me.

As soon as I reached in front of my house, I got down and stood in front of him. I generally just hand the money and leave but that day all this was unusual so was my behavior. I asked him “Why do you do this at this age?”  He looked at me and laughed. I gave him a confused look and repeated my question. But again he did not answer me. So I asked “Don’t you have a family?”

Then finally he started speaking “I have two boys and two granddaughters from them.” Then again my surprised look flashed in front of him. So he came to the point. He told me that his sons are robbers and they rob for getting money. Robbery was their occupation. But he is against it and recently his sons had been engaged in a robbery and when the police came to ask him he gave them the truth and his sons were arrested. He spends his life away from his sons with just his wife. To earn his livelihood he drives the cycle rikshaw. He had said a very powerful line in between all this that “I don’t want to live on money that has been stolen from someone else, I want to earn for myself.”

I had looked at him with respect and hope. This made me realize that there are people alive who know what is right and wrong and ready to support the right. He made me learn a valuable lesson which if I had not seen with my own eyes would have thought of as a story. This fills me with hope and optimism for the future of our country. There are at least few people ready to support the truth no matter what it takes and their stories will make other handful to follow. And with this chain we can hope for a bright future just like Housing.

Housing is here to help the world live better. To know more about it, click the following link:
https://housing.com/lookup

1 comment:

S said...

Exactly my thoughts! I liked the way you put it...we still have a few good people around and because of them our faith in goodness is still intact. Thank you for sharing this amazing life story. I am visiting your blog after a long time, hope you are doing good,
Take care,
S